(May 2015 – Present)
Aminu Bello Masari (born 29 May 1950) is a Nigerian politician and current Governor of Katsina State. He was the speaker of the Nigerian House of Representatives between 2003 and 2007. Masari hails from Kafur Local Government in Katsina State.
Masari ran unsuccessfully for the office of Katsina State Governor in the 2011 election under the platform of defunct Congress for Progressive Change. In December 2014 he re contested and emerged as the governorship candidate of the All Progressives Congress(APC) for the March 2015 elections.
He was declared winner of the 11 April 2015 Katsina State Governorship election, defeating his arch-rival Musa Nashuni of PDP as anointed candidate of the then incumbent Shema.
On 29 May 2015. Alhaji Aminu Bello Masari was sworn in as the executive Governor of Katsina State alongside with the President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, President Muhammadu Buhari who also hails from Katsina State
- Signing or vetting bills passed by the Legislature.
- Serving as commander-in-chief of the state’s military forces.
- Convening special sessions of the Legislature for specific purposes.
- Delivering a report on the condition of the state to the Legislature at the beginning of each regular session and a report on the condition of the budget on the first Tuesday of each December.
- Recommending the General Bill to appropriate each year’s funding, which the Legislature then amends.
- Granting reprieves and commutations of punishment and pardons upon the recommendation of the Board of Pardons and Paroles and revoking conditional pardons.
- Declaring special elections to fill vacancies in certain elected offices.
- Abdullahi Sarki Mukhtar (Governor – Military): September 1987 – July 1988
- Lawrence Onoja (Governor – Military): July 1988 – December 1989
- John Madaki (Governor – Military): December 1989 – January 1992
- Saidu Barda (Governor – Civilian (National Republican Convention)): January 1992 – November 1993
- Emmanuel Acholonu (Administrator – Military): December 1993 – August 1996
- Samaila Bature Chamah (Administrator – Military): August 1996 – August 1998
- Joseph Akaagerger (Administrator – Military): August 1998 – May 1999
- Umaru Musa Yar’Adua (Governor – Civilian (People’s Democratic Party)): May 1999 – May 2007
- Ibrahim Sheu Shema (Governor – Civilian (People’s Democratic Party): May 2007 – May 2015
Alhaji Mannir Yakubu was born in Katsina city on the 15th of August, 1954 and had his early Islamic education under the close watch of his forefather, Malam Ladan family of Tsohuwar Kasuwa Quarters Katsina. He started his primary school in 1961 at Rafindadi in Katsina Metropolis, after which he proceeded to Barewa College, Zaria in 1968, where he obtained his Grade I WASC.
From there, the young Mannir proceeded to the School of Basic Studies (SBS), Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria for his A/Level at the end of which he stayed back in the same university to pursue a degree in surveying, emerging the best student with a second class upper in 1977.
In October 1979, the young graduate ventured into politics and became the principal secretary to the deputy governor in the old Kaduna state, Alhaji Abba Musa Rimi on the platform of the Peoples Redemptions Party (PRP). At different times, he served as the principle quantity surveyor and chief quantity surveyor ministry of works in the old Kaduna state.
Yakubu, a fellow of the Nigeria institute of Quantity Surveyors (FNIQS), contested for the Katsina Central Senatorial Seat in 2003 and 2007 on the ticket of the All Nigeria Peoples Party, and 2011 on the platform of the Congress for Progressive Change (CPC), but was not successful.. Alhaji Yakubu is also the Supervising Commissioner of Agriculture. Added to this. Mannir is the present Chairman, state’s task force on polio eradication and routine immunization, chaired the transition committee, 2015 fertilizer distribution committee, while also supervising the Katsina State Road Maintenance Agency (KASROMA) and overseeing the religions affairs Ministry, pilgrims welfare board as well as local government areas and primary health care agency.
- Assist the Governor in performing executive functions of the State as may be delegated by the Governor;
- Membership of Executive Council: Attending EXCO meetings and other related meetings;
- Strategic Policy Advice to the Governor and EXCO: Advises the Governor on all aspects of governance and operational policy and in the development of the corporate policy of Government;
- Upon approval of the Governor, represents the State at National and International conferences, meetings and other events in a manner that enhances the reputation, economic and progress of the State;
- Ceremonial Duties: Attends State ceremonial events;
- Any other responsibilities as may be assigned by the Governor.
Mustapha Muhammad Inuwa
Secretary to the State Government
Alh Mustapha Inuwa served katsina State in various capacities;
He served Katsina State as the commissioner for education during the period of the late former president Umaru Musa Yar’adua’s time as governor in Katsina state.
He then served as the secretary to the state government of the late former president Umaru Musa Yar’adua’ time as a governor for a brief period of time.
He was an active opposition member and an activist during the former governor Ibrahim Shehu Shema period as a governor.
He participated fully in forming the new governing party APC
He was the pioneer chairman of the All progressive congress, Katsina State.
- Serving as the Secretary to the State Executive Council
- Coordinating the activities of Ministries and Government agencies, especially on the implementation of Government Policies and Decisions.
- Liaison with Secretary to the Government of Federation and the Secretaries to State Governments.
- Supervision of Cabinet Office.
- National Honours and Awards.
- Servicing State Councils Meetings.
- Dealing with matters relating to condition of service of Political Officer holders in the Executive, the Legislative and the Judiciary.
- Petitions and Appeals to the Governor from non Public Officers.
- Advising the Executive Governor on Political Matters
- katsina State Security Committee and intelligence
- Cabinet Matters
- Policy Analysis and Implementation
- Monitoring of Council Decisions
- Official Gazette and Telephone Directory
- Allocation of Official Identification Vehicle Numbers
- Declaration of Assets and Oath of Public Office
- Liaison on Recruitment Exercises to the Armed Forces and the Police
Chief of Staff
Mandiya, who was born in Malumfashi Local Government Area in 1964, obtained B.Sc Mass Communications and M.Sc. International Relations and Strategic Studies from the University of Lagos.
Until his appointment, he was the Special Legislative Assistant to the Speaker, House of Representatives from 2003 to 2007. Mandiya was nominated as an International Observer to the Cater Center Observatory Mission to Ghanaian Presidential Election in 2008.
- Protocol and Administration of Government House.
- Control and Maintenance of Government Guest House and VIP Chalets
- Political Intelligence
- Political Correspondence
- General Administration of the Chief Executive Office
- Co-ordination of schedule of Governor’s Activities
- Control of Government Guest Houses attached to Liaison Office
- Relation with Embassies and others
- Liaison Office
- Establishment of a Mini-Exhibition centre for the Purpose of projecting the image of the state.
- Passages and Estacode matters in conjunction with the Ministry of Finance
Ministerial Briefing with his Excellency
Dr. Dikko Umaru Radda
Past Chief of Staff
Dr. Dikko Umaru Radda is the Director General/Chief Executive Officer of Small and Medium Enterprises Development Agency of Nigeria (SMEDAN). Dr Radda, an astute politician, entrepreneur, teacher and banker with wide administrative experience was born on 10th September 1969 in Hayingada-Dutsinma Local Government, Katsina State North-West Nigeria.
He started his early educational pursuit at Radda Primary School from 1974-1980. He proceeded to Zaria Teachers College between 1980-1985 for his Grade Two Certificate. Dr Radda later gained admission into the College of Education, Kafanchan in 1986 and obtained the National Certificate of Education (NCE) in 1989. He enrolled into Abubakar Tafawa Balewa University, Bauchi in 1992 and graduated with a B-Tech.Agric Economic and Extension (Hons) in 1996.
Thereafter he gained admission into Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria In 1998 and obtained MSC Agric Extension and Rural Sociology in 2004. Dr Radda’s insatiable desire to broaden his horizon motivated him to return to ABU Zaria in 2005 for a Masters in International Affairs and Diplomacy and later capped it with a Ph.D in Agricultural Extension and Rural Sociology from the same University in 2015.
The Director General/Chief Executive Officer possesses extensive working experience. He was a class room teacher between 1989-1999. He worked as a Banker with the defunct FSB International Bank between 1999-2003. He was Executive Chairman Charanchi Local Government Area of Katsina state between Jan 2005 and April 2007. He was reappointed Caretaker Committee Chairman, Charanchi LGA, Katsina State in May 2007. Other appointments he has held are; Senior Legislative Aide, NASS, Abuja, 2012-2014, National Welfare Secretary (APC), June 2014- July 2015.
He holds the traditional title of Gwagwaren Katsina in the historic Katsina Emirate Council. Dr Radda has presented several academic papers in both local and international conferences and workshops.
Dr Radda, was until his present appointment the Chief of Staff to the Katsina State Governor. He is a recipient of several awards and certificates from both local and international organizations. A widely traveled man and he is married with children
- Leadership and direction to the Civil Service and maintaining good image of the Service.
- Fostering professionalism among Civil Servants.
- Advising the State Chief Executive on the appointment, posting and deployment of Permanent Secretaries.
- Deployment of Civil Servants of all cadres in the State Civil Service
- Participation at the Executive Council Meetings.
- Vetting of recommendation of promotion of officers on GL13 and above before consideration by the State Civil Service, Health Service Commission, TEPO, etc.\
- Approval for Public Servants travelling abroad.
- Advising on Appointments and deployment of Chief Executive of Parastatals
- Vetting of Appointment and Posting of Heads of Departments of Local Government Councils/LCDAs for the approval of the Governor.
- Liaison with Code of Conduct Bureau.
- Management of National Productivity Order of Merit Award.
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Governor.
- Public Service Standard and Performance Directorate.
- Yearly compilation of State Functions/Events and Public Holidays
- Documentation of the Bio Data/Information on retired Heads of Service and Secretaries to the State Government in the State Civil Service.
- Investigation of Petitions and Appeal Letters
Alhaji Umar Faruq dan Umar (2007 – Date)
Emir of Daura
Umar Faruq dan Umar was born in 1931. He became Emir of Daura, or Sarkin Daura, on 28 February 2007 following the death of Sarkin Muhammadu Bashar dan Umaru. A few months later he volunteered to stand security for former governor of Jigawa State, Saminu Turaki, who had been detained over allegations of corruption and money laundering after leaving office in May 2007. However, Turaki’s successor as governor, Sule Lamido, persuaded him to change his mind.
In 2007 Faruk met President Umaru Yar’Adua with the Ooni of Ife Okunade Sijuade, the Emir of Kano Ado Bayero and the Emir of Zazzau Shehu Idris. Yar’Adua assured them that a constitutional role would be found for traditional leaders in Nigeria. In January 2009 Faruk represented the President’s family, standing in for the bride during the marriage rites for a daughter of President Yar’Adua who was being married to the Bauchi State Governor Alhaji Isa Yuguda. In December 2007 he was awarded the honor of Commander of the Order of the Niger (CON). In July 2009 the European-American University Commonwealth of Dominica conferred an honorary doctorate award on Faruk for his role in nation building.
In April 2008 he turbaned Mr. Ndudi Elumelu, Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Power and Steel, as the Hasken Daura (Light of Daura). In November 2009 he turbaned the President of the Court of Appeal, Justice Umaru Abdullahi, as Walin Hausa. Normally the Muslim festive period of Id-El-Kabir includes a durbar held simultaneously in Daura and Katsina council areas. In December 2008 the Daura durbar was cancelled since the Emir was performing religious obligations in Saudi Arabia.
In February 2009 Faruk intervened to restore calm after mob violence broke out at Kongolam on the border with Niger in which seven people died. Later he asserted that the smugglers who caused the incident were outsiders, not residents of the border area. In the summer of 2009 the farmers of Katsina state suffered an invasion of quelea bird, which threatened to destroy their crops. Faruk advised them to stay calm and treat the event as an act of god, assuring them they would be given assistance. In February 2010 the Emir pledged thirty million naira of his own money to rebuild three old city gates and the “Kusugu well” monument in the emirate.
In 2010 he was a Director of First Fuel and Gas Limited.
Past Emirs of Daura
- Sarkin Gwari Abdu (1778 – 1825)
- Lukudi (1825 – 1855)
- Nuhu dan Sarkin Gwari Abdu (1855 – 1861)
- Tafida dan Nuhu (1877 – 1904)
- Musa dan Nuhu (1906 -1911)
- Abd ar-Rahman dan Musa (1911-1966)
- Muhammadu Bashar dan Umaru (1966 – 2007)
Abdulmumin Kabir Usman (2008 – Date)
Emir of Katsina
Abdulmumin Kabir Usman is the current emir of Katsina, Nigeria, and chancellor of Obafemi Awolowo University.
He is the 50th emir of Katsina chronologically and the 4th from Sullubawa dynasty succeeding his father Muhammadu Kabir Usman.
Past Emirs of Katsina
- Ibrahim dan Muhamman Bello (1870 – 1882)
- Musa dan Umaru (1882 – 1887)
- Abubakar dan Ibrahim (1887 – 1905)
- Yero dan Musa (1905 – 1906)
- Muhammad Dikko dan Gidado (1906 – 1944)
- Usman Nagogo dan Muhammad Dikko (1944 – 1981)
- Muhammadu Kabir Usman (1981 – 2008)
Katsina State consists of thirty-four (34) Local Government Areas. They are: