EXECUTIVE COUNCIL COMMITTEE ON IMPROVEMENT OF WELFARE FOR ORPHANS AND WIDOWS OF VICTIMS OF BANDITRY, CATTLE RUSTLING AND INSURGENCY IN THE AFFECTED 11NO. LGAs OF KATSINA STATE
The Katsina State Executive Council at its 6th Regular Meeting held on Wednesday, 11th November, 2020 noted with concern the negative impact of the activities of Bandits, Cattle Rustlers and Insurgents on Socio-Economic Well-being of the affected Communities, particularly Orphans and widows left behind by the victims of these activities.
Sequel to the foregoing, the Council Constituted a Committee under the Chairmanship of His Excellency, Mannir Yakubu, FNIQS, Deputy Governor of Katsina State to advise Government on how to improve the livelihood of Orphaned Children and Widows in the affected 11No. Local Government Areas of the State that are ravaged by these unfortunate activities. The affected LGAs are; Jibia, Batsari, Danmusa, Safana, Kankara, Faskari, Dandume, Sabuwa, Matazu, Kurfi and Dutsin-Ma.
The Committee Comprises of the following:
- His Excellency, the Deputy Governor – Chairman
- Commissioner, Budget and Economic Planning – Member
- Commissioner Local Govt. and Chieftaincy Affairs – Member
- Commissioner, Special Duties – Member
- Commissioner, Women affairs – Member
- Special Adviser, Community Development – Member
- Special Adviser, Higher Education – Member
- Special Adviser, Katsina State Economic Empowerment and Social Interventions – Member
- Special Adviser Political – Member
- Representative of Coalition of Civil Society Organizations – Member
- Representative of JIBWIS – Member
- Representative of Munazzama – Member
- Governor’s Office – Secretary
TERMS OF REFERENCE
The Committee is charged with the following responsibilities:
- To identify Orphans and Widows in the 11No. frontline LGAs that are affected by the activities of Bandits, Cattle Rustlers and Insurgents (Jibia, Batsari, Danmusa, Safana, Kankara, Faskari, Dandume, Sabuwa, Matazu, Kurfi and Dutsin-Ma);
- To suggest/determine the kind of assistance to be provided to the Victims (Orphans and Widows) by the Government;
- To determine the age of Orphans to qualify for Government support
- To determine/suggest the source(s) of financing the project;
- To co-opt any individual or group that may assist in the conduct of the Committee’s assignment.
INAUGURATION/FIRST MEETING OF THE COMMITTEE
The Committee was inaugurated by His Excellency, the Deputy Governor of Katsina State on Tuesday 19th January, 2021 at the Conference Hall of the Deputy Governor’s office by 3:00pm. Thereafter, the first meeting of the Committee commenced where members studied the ToR of the Committee and drew modalities for the execution of their assignment. They also identified and co-opted some individuals, groups and organizations that may assist in the discharge of its assignment in line with item (v) of the Committees Terms of Reference.
The following were co-opted into the Committee in view of tremendous contributions expected to be derived from them:
- Commissioner, Ministry of Sports and Social development
- Rep. of Katsina Emirate Council
- Executive Secretary, State Emergency Management agency (SEMA)
- Chairman, Katsina State Traders’ Association
- Chairman, Fatima Baika (Central) Market Katsina
- Chairman, Inter-Party Advisory Council (IPAC)
- State Chairman, National Youth Council of Nigeria (NYCN), Katsina Chapter
- Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovations.
As at Tuesday, 27th April, 2021 the Committee has met ten times and was able to:
- Identify Ninety Three (93) wards as the affected Wards from the 11nos LGAs that should benefit from the intervention.
- Came up with an estimated Seventeen Thousand, Five Hundred (17,500) Widows and Orphans sourced from available records that would form the First Phase of the intervention plan.
- Carried out Advocacy visit to the Katsina Emirate Council to inform it of its assignment and seek its support.
- Carried out a study tour to Zamfara and Sokoto States on similar interventions by the Governments.
- Conducted Community level stakeholders sensitization at all the 11no. LGAs and the affected Wards in which the stakeholders were informed of the initiative, progress made and their expected roles in the entire exercise. Those sensitized were Local Government Administrators, traditional and religious leaders, Community Based Organizations, Market Associations, Youths and Women Groups, Traders Associations, Leaders of Political Parties and other relevant groups
- Designed and printed 20,000 enrolment forms (15,000 and 5,000 for the Orphans and Widows respectively) for capturing data of the target beneficiaries
- Made selection of Wards Enumerators and LGAs Supervisors who will drive the enrolment process. Committees were also formed to verify and assess the capacity of the selected Enumerators before their training which was scheduled for 25th May, 2021. This was done to ensure that quality data was generated.